Monday 28 March 2022

Sunstar and other Seastars (Starfish)


 

We took advantage of the bright weather last weekend and headed out to the coast at Felixstowe. There were few birds about, but in a secluded corner we found a collection of starfish, or 'sea stars' to use the preferred name in scientific circles.   

The one above is, I believe, a Common sunstar. I don't think I have ever encountered one before. What a beautiful creature.

 


I couldn't resist the photo above, which shows the proximity of the Common sunstar to one of the other star-shaped echinoderms. I hadn't noticed the 'stars' of white light from the camera until the photo was uploaded; it seemed a shame to crop them off!

 


As you can see from the second photo in this post, there were quite a few ripples in the pool so it was not easy to take a sharp picture. The photo above shows the best attempt at detail I could manage. 

 


The images immediately above and below show what I think must be the Common seastar, Asterias rubens.


Can you see those marks in the sand (top right), which I assume indicate the creature's direction of travel.


Another . . .

. . . and another

And finally, lurking in the sand was what I suspect may be the rather sad remains of a Brittlestar or similar . . .




I shall post these on iSpot, and may hopefully learn a bit more. I now know to keep an eye out for these fascinating sea creatures, particularly after a storm.

7 comments:

Conehead54 said...

Lovely stuff. Not a group I know much about but good to see these.

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, Conehead54. A fascinating discovery, though I don't think the storm did them many favours.

Ragged Robin said...

Beautiful and a great discovery. I just love exploring rock pools and its been a few years since I've been at the seaside!

Wilma said...

Wonderful and fun "starry" photos! If the brittlestar is still alive, it will grow back its missing appendages. They are quite tough creatures!

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, RR and Wilma, for your kind comments. I'm glad to know about the brittlestar ... though I can't vouch for the fact it was still alive. Here's hoping ... And yes, RR, I love rock pools, too. This was really a sand pool, I suppose, but it housed these three different varieties.

Gardens at Waters East said...

What a nice adventure you had. Whenever I visit either of your oceans - Atlantic or Pacific I explore like you. So many interesting creatures to discover. Thanks for the photos.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos Caroline!