Monday 22 June 2020

Day 22, #30DaysWildCreativity: Post-Solstice, 2020





Of Eyes and Iridescence
Monday, 22 June 2020


On this day when the first poppy opened
I sensed the tug of the long haul
towards winter through the amber light
of harvest, the embers of bonfires
and the muted music of freezing fog.

On this day when the first poppy opened
I buried my eyes in the corn marigold’s gold,
immersed myself in the deep sea-blue
of the cornflower, and delighted in the yellow
and white design of an ox-eye daisy.

On this day when the first poppy opened
I committed these flowers to memory,
afraid that fiery petals would soon flutter 
to the ground, fearful that I would miss
the eyespots of the peacock butterfly.


                                         © CG 2020


* * *
This post was composed this afternoon as my response to Dr Miriam Darlington's 'What do you miss, grieve for, as the year tips?' Facebook meme as part of #30DaysWildCreativity.

1 comment:

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you Caroline.
It was nice to read your words and to enjoy your mosaic photographs.

All the best Jan