Monday 14 May 2012

Ladybird Alert (10): Harlequin, 14-spot ... and thirty-seven 7-spots!

In my previous post, I mentioned our walk through a local nature reserve. These are the Ladybirds we encountered. The 7-spots (all thirty-seven of them) were too numerous to photograph on this occasion as we had walked a fair way and needed to get back. The top photograph shows a Harlequin Ladybird. The others are native to the UK. I particularly like the last photo!

As ever, I shall send these sighting-records in to be counted. You can find details of ...
  • the UK Ladybird Survey here
  • the Harlequin Ladybird Survey here
Incidentally, if you would like to read my earlier post about the other creatures we saw on our walk in the nature reserve, this link here will take you to the page. 

I take this to be the HARLEQUIN LADYBIRD, Harmonia axyridis succinea © David Gill 2012

7-spot, Coccinella 7-punctata, of sorts?

14-spot Ladybird - these Ladybirds are very small and are not Harlequins
Propylea 14-punctata

As above ... a second one
I note that Professor P. Brain, who is based near our previous home in South Wales, also recorded a Propylea 14-punctata this weekend.

I love the Ladybird's 'composition' here . . . One of the thirty-seven 7-spots we saw yesterday!


3 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely ladybirds! (Well maybe not the harlequins!)

eileeninmd said...

I love the ladybugs and it is wonderful that you got to see the 7 spot and the 14 spot ladybugs. To me they are one of the cutest bugs. Great post and I enjoyed the photos.

J said...

That's an impressive variety of ladybirds, Caroline. I really need to pay more attention to the little things, although I did find a ladybird on my trail camera the other day!