Wednesday 5 April 2023

Today's (Welcome/Unwelcome) Garden Guest



Pictures: David Gill
 

This is the first time I have seen a Sparrowhawk in the grass. We have occasional visits, but the bird usually perches on a fence or branch and sometimes simply swoops across the garden.

I suspect Chris Packham would be pleased to host such a bird ... but with our regular company of Long-tailed tits, Blackcaps (two male, one female), Blue tits, Great tits, Wren (just the one), Dunnocks and Robins, I am not sure what I think about having a bird of prey so close to our fatball feeders and patio door. Does anyone know if this is unusual behaviour for this species of raptor? 


2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

i've seen them on the ground Caroline but usually when plucking a bird. I've also seen them flying round and trying to get in bushes where the birds have taken shelter. I'm always thrilled to see one but not so much when they take a bird so I understand your feelings.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Great photos, sparrowhawks are magnificent birds, but I would also worry about the smaller birds! I've never seen a sparrowhawk on the ground except when it's got prey