Friday 31 July 2020

A(nother) Flying Ant Day in Suffolk


I have been keeping my eye on a number of ants' nests in our wild garden for some days. There appeared to be little activity until yesterday afternoon. We were having a cup of tea and a slice of chocolate cake when we noticed plumes of insects rising into the air. A few minutes later our regular garden birds, especially the Blue tits and Blackbirds, started swooping and fluttering for the airborne ants. It was quite a spectacle to watch.  

David made a short video recording which you can view here:


2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

the flying ants are starting to emerge here too, I think that's what our swifts are currently feeding on!

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

I confess . . . I don't much like flying ant days. Interesting but a bit overwhelming.