Thursday 21 May 2020

The Appeal of the Dandelion

Peacock butterfly

Inspired by Crafty Green Poet's post on the Dandelion Appreciation Society roughly three weeks ago, I decided to photograph the insects in our garden that perched on these vibrant flowers. All the images below have been taken since the start of May. I don't know what all the insects are yet; but while I try to discover, I hope to continue to keep an an eye out for more, and will add them when I find them. I am not always good at distinguishing a Dandelion from a similar species, so it would be good to be able to identify at least some of the 240 species we have in the UK.




Small White butterfly



----------------

Yesterday morning's butterfly, a Common Blue, I think. I have placed this photo below the line because I have a hunch the host plant is not a Dandelion. Do enlighten me!


4 comments:

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

I know what you mean about 'is it a dandelion or is it something like it?'. Perhaps the leaves will help with an ID? I too am a dandelion fan - though I think at the time of writing (22nd May 2020) the flowers are over for a moment - and given how windy it is today I doubt we will have many clocks left either. Good to see the insects too.

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely photos - we have Cat's Ear on the garden lawns and that is quite similar (to me anyway!) to a dandelion.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Caroline, lovely selection of insects on your dandelions. The last flower doesn't look like a dandelion you're right, not sure exactly what it is though.

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, Lucy, RR and CGP, for your kind comments. I did wonder about cat's Ear, RR, for the smaller yellow flowers...