Friday 25 March 2016

Minotaur Beetle on NT Dunwich Heath


This seems to be a female Minotaur Beetle; and if you are wondering about the name, well, the male of the species provides the answer with its 'Minotaur horns' protruding from its pronotum. Over-wintering takes place in burrows, with a pair of insects per burrow. This beetle was strolling along the sandy path you see to the right of the photo below.

Dunwich Heath is a wonderful sandy, heathland habitat. We often see unusual insects, not forgetting other wildlife such as Dartford Warblers and Red Deer. Glow worms have also been seen, but I have yet to have this particular pleasure!


3 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

What a wonderful place for a walk - great photos :) I haven't seen glow worms since we used to holiday in North Cornwall when I was little although I do believe there is a population at one of the nature reserves I visit. Have a lovely Easter.

eileeninmd said...

Hello caroline, neat shot of the beetle. I like the landscape shot too. Happy weekend and happy Easter to you and your family.

Amanda Peters said...

Great photo, you are not going to mess with this lass, bit of a brute..
Amanda xx