Wednesday 8 May 2013

Nature Reserves: (a Spider on) Carlton Marshes, Suffolk


We enjoyed a walk at Carlton Marshes, near Oulton Broad, on Saturday in warm spring sunshine. The reserve belongs to the Suffolk Wildlife Trust, and is linked at one end to the far side of the river by a ferry service from the Waveney River Centre. It was our first visit to the area, and the sound of warbling in the reeds and blackthorn was a delight. 


This teasel caught my eye as it had been eaten by some creature. I soon noticed this Spider. I haven't been able to identify it exactly, but it may be (related to) Xysticus cristatus (and here). I would be grateful for a definite ID!

I would initially have suspected a Crab Spider, but I have discovered that Crab Spiders use their front legs instead of spinning webs to catch their prey. There is a rather prominent piece of webbing in the photo above on the left. There is some helpful information about true Crab Spiders on the Arkive site.




2 comments:

Em Parkinson said...

Your Teasel/spider photos are wonderful, and thanks for you identification earlier....I've changed it and put a link to you in instead of my inadequate ramblings!

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a beautiful place for a walk! Love the spider shots!