Monday 6 August 2012

Nature Reserves (3): Dunwich Heath and Minsmere

We failed to notice any particularly unusual birds, but we were able to notch up 21 Gatekeeper butterflies at Minsmere during the allocated 15 minutes for the Big Butterfly Count. They were out in the intermittent sunshine, enjoying the brambles.

I also saw a single Red Admiral ...

... and this unidentified Dragonfly. It was very active and finally settled high up a tree. I was leaning back as far as possible and using my zoom ... hence the wobble and poor quality photo! I think it is a hawker of some kind.



Our most unusual sighting of the afternoon at Dunwich Heath (National Trust), and indeed a first for me, was this Gorse Shieldbug nymph. I believe it is related to the Stinkbug family. Incidentally you might be interested to see a Red-legged Shieldbug in the Cabinet of Curiosities here. You might also like this British bug guide to hemiptera.

(Piezodorus lituratus)

I think the last bug I saw in nymph form was in Pylos ... here

We also noticed a few lively Cinnabar Moth caterpillars on the ragwort ...


... and what seemed to be a Brown-tail Moth tent on the heath ...

Previously noticed here at Spurn Point
And finally, a photo to help you find your bearings if you are not familiar with these two superb Suffolk wildlife sites ...

No comments: