Saturday 3 March 2012

Ladybird Alert (4): Seven-spot Ladybirds at Ickworth

We spent a glorious afternoon in the grounds at Ickworth near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
We spotted (sorry!) seven Ladybirds. My first photo shows a Seven-spot Ladybird on bark.
I also noticed this Funnel-web Spider web, and threw the photo in for a 'spot' of variety.
This Seven-spot Ladybird was enjoying the brickwork ...
. . . and this one was walking along a leaf in the Spring sunshine.
I was pretty sure that these were not Harlequins but native British Seven-spot Ladybirds. However, I checked on the Harlequin Ladybird Survey site just to be sure (where I read 'If it's red with precisely 7 black spots, it is a 7-spot ladybird)'. I felt confirmed in my ID.

So I went across to the UK Ladybird Survey website to record my sightings. Please consider doing the same if you come across these creatures. You might enjoy a look at the Survey's gallery page

No comments: