During our day at the Carlton Marshes Nature Reserve near Lowestoft, we spent some time watching the boats on Oulton Broad. There were a few gulls about, but one of them looked a bit different. I reached for my binoculars and saw this Common Tern, resting on the covered boom of a sailing craft. Perhaps it had just arrived in the UK. I have seen Terns on the island of Skye, but this was a first East Anglian sighting for me, despite the fact that the Tern is the icon of the Norfolk Wildlife Trust.
|A resting Tern|
So I will add it to my 2013 list, along with some other birds that I have encountered since my list of 8 April. Other species of bird seen since that date include ...
- Common Tern (Oulton Broad)
- Hobby (RSPB Minsmere) - a first sighting
- Common Crane (Norfolk) - definitely a first sighting for me!
- Puffin (RSPB Bempton Cliffs)
- Gannet (ditto)
- Kittiwake (ditto)
- Fulmar (ditto)
- Guillemot (ditto)
- Razorbill (ditto)
- Cuckoo (Essex)
- Black-tailed Godwit (WWT Welney)
- Sedge Warbler (WWT Welney)
- Swallow (SWT Carlton Marshes)
- Bullfinch (home patch)
- Sparrowhawk (home patch)
- Lesser Redpoll (NT Wicken Fen)
- Reed Bunting (NT Wicken Fen)