Thursday 3 September 2020

Wasp Spider


I mentioned in my last post that we seem to be trailing behind, seeing particular species a few days after others have posted pictures on social media. I have been admiring the shots of the Wasp Spider, but it was only today that we found three of these extraordinary arachnids here in our garden. They were busy with their individual webs and were all about 12 centimetres from the ground.

Mimicry is one of nature's special tools. This (harmless-to-humans) spider in wasp's 'clothing' is kept safe by its stripes. These serve as a warning to potential predators, who are quick to disappear if they sense a wasp is near at hand.


You might also like this post...

4 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Oh Wow! How brilliant to have wasp spiders in the garden. I have never seen one! I did look at Arne years ago as they are found there but the family had zoomed off and I had to abandon the search!

Crafty Green Poet said...

What an amazing spider! I've never seen one in real life.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I've never seen one of these stunning creatures

Lowcarb team member said...

I've not seen one of these before ... amazing colour and markings.

All the best Jan