Friday 11 September 2020

Mystery Pupa, Egg Sac or . . .

 

I noticed this white casing attached with silken threads to a grass stalk on the edge of our long grass yesterday morning. 

I have just posted these pictures on iSpot, but have no idea whether this is the pupa of a moth, the egg sac of a spider or whether it might belong to a parasitic wasp of some kind. It is about 0.7 cm in length and about 20 cm off the ground. Perhaps the bands are a clue to its ID. Do let me know if you recognise it!



 

2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Sorry no idea of id of cocoon type object. It does look a bit like a spider one but the ones I have seen are smaller. Hope you find out what it is as I would love to know.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

I don't recognise it but will be very interested to learn what it is when you find out.