Monday 13 August 2018

Northern Holiday 2018, Post 1: Spoonbills


I'm afraid I'm running very late with my holiday photos, but never mind! I can still post a selection of highlights.

We heard about RSPB Fairburn Ings on BBC Springwatch a short while before our departure, so were delighted to find that the reserve was not far off our route as we headed north. There was a buzz in the air when we arrived, and we soon discovered that three Spoonbill chicks had hatched and could be viewed from a distance. My zoom is not the best, but the photo below the 'viewing' blackboard shows mother and young doing well. What a remarkable sight.


There was a heronry with chicks in close proximity, but I would hazard a guess that during our time at Fairburn Ings, all eyes were focused on the Spoonbills.  


5 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

A wonderful start to your holiday - I've never seen a Spoonbill. Look forward to reading more about your trip:)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love the Spoonbills. We only see the Roseate Spoonbill in the USA. Enjoy your holiday! Enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, Ragged Robin and Eileen, for your kind comments!

Lowcarb team member said...

So nice to see your photo's of the Spoonbills.

All the best Jan

Crafty Green Poet said...

I've never seen a spoonbill! I remember one time they visited Musselburgh (my regular birding spot) and I rushed there as soon as I could but they had already gone....