Monday 14 August 2017

Northern Holiday, 2017 (2): Aberdour Castle Grounds


Painted Lady, Walled Garden, Aberdour Castle

In my previous post I included a photograph of a stained glass window on Holy Island, depicting a Puffin and an Eider duck. We left the Holy Island area and moved north into Scotland.

We had rain most days, but the sun shone for us at Aberdour Castle, a site we had not visited for some years. The warmer weather (and doubtless the nectar-rich flowers) enticed a Painted Lady butterfly out into the shelter of the wonderful walled garden. I have hardly seen any Painted Ladies this summer, so this sighting was a particular joy.



The castle backs on to some fine terraced walks.
jj

David ducked his head and explored the 'doocot'.


A sundial built into the wall. 


I believe I had noticed the spider's web, but I am not sure I had seen the spider (if indeed it is the spider!) when I took the picture...


I'm guessing this is a bat-box in the castle wall. 


I couldn't resist a few more photos of the Painted Lady...




We did not see nearly as many birds as we usually do in Scotland. The particularly unsettled weather will have had something to do with this. However, we did hear a few Curlews calling (such a special and unique sound); and perhaps what we lacked in numbers, we made up for in terms of quality sightings, like this fine king-of-the-castle Robin.


We congratulated the castle gardener on her wonderful planting in the walled garden...


... and we were not the only ones to appreciate the flowers. 


Just as we were leaving, I noticed this little Haiku lurking in the soil. I have just discovered that it is part of the Aberdour Poetry Trail.

You will have noticed that the Painted Lady features prominently in this post. I have been paying particular attention to butterflies this year as a result of reading two fascinating books...
It has been particularly rewarding to read them sequentially as Barkham alludes to butterfly expeditions in the company of Oates

8 comments:

Wilma said...

Lovely photos; I especially like the perspective of the first one.

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely photos - that walled garden is a delight :) Not seen many Painted Ladies either this year though we did have one on the garden buddleia last week. I loved both those butterfly books and have just received Matthew Oates latest book called "Beyond Spring" - out later in the year in paperback I believe.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos, specially the painted lady shots, I've not seen one this year!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the castle is cool. I love the beautiful butterflies and the cute Robin. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

L. D. said...

This looks like a very interesting place to visit. I am amazed that we have painted lady butterflies over here, the sam as you. I like seeing all the structures in stone.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

It's very beautiful. Bareley seen a painted lady all year, one perhaps. Lovely shots

Lowcarb team member said...

Those painted ladies look good, great photo's.
I love the king-of-the-castle Robin too.

Glad you had a nice holiday.

All the best Jan

Amanda Peters said...

What a lovely place, some were I would love to visit... great photos and nice to see the painted lady, I have been lucky this year and seen a few.
Amanda xx