|All these photos were taken in poor conditions through double glazing - sorry!|
What a grey day.
The car thermometer registered two degrees, but it felt more like zero in the damp air and relatively thick fog. It has been a good day for bird sightings. Thus far I have spotted the following...
- a charm of 19+ Goldfinches on the Silver Birch, presumably feeding off its winged seeds.
- One Starling on the coconut fat-feeder
- Several Blue tits
- At least two female Blackbirds, and a male on the coconut fat-feeder
- A Wren among the dead stems near the window
- A couple of Great tits on the feeder
- At least a couple of Long-tailed tits on the feeder
- At least five Wood Pigeons
- A Robin
- A Magpie on the next roof
I wonder why we see so few Chaffinches here. As I was tidying up this post a flock of about 20 Crows flew past, presumably in advance of the evening's roost.
I am hoping that some of these species will stay to be counted in the forthcoming RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend.
Incidentally, a few Waxwings apparently made a brief appearance less than a mile up the road earlier this morning...