Tuesday 25 March 2014

Home patch ~ eye-catching insects


It's lovely to see (most) insects reappearing after the winter. I am not a fan of wasps, having ended up at A&E after my last sting, but I enjoy seeing the different Hoverflies that come into the garden. I find Hoverflies hard to identify but I'm wondering if this is E. Corollae

Small Tortoiseshell, home patch, 24 March 2014

The Small Tortoiseshell butterfly, on the other hand, is easy to spot. The only other similar butterfly in the UK is the Large Tortoiseshell, which is extremely rare here, and only seen very occasionally as a migrant.

5 comments:

Marc Latham said...

Lovely photos of great coloured insects.

Marc Latham said...

Nice insects and great photos bringing out the detail and colours.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos, Caroline, can't help with identifying the hoverfly though, unfortunately....

eileeninmd said...

Hello Caroline, the bee on the flower is beautiful. And I love the butterfly, so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing some flowers and butterflies. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Naquillity said...

such great shots... i don't like being stung by wasps either... they hurt, badly. but butterflies are always beautiful to watch. they colors are always so magnificent. have a great day~