Monday 24 January 2022

Trailcam Update and RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch Reminder


We hope to take part once again in the annual RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, which runs from 28 to 30 January 2022. It is always interesting to see which of the 'regulars' deign to show up during our chosen hour, and if there are any surprises. Do consider taking part yourselves; this must be one of the largest and most popular citizen science projects around.

You might be wondering why I am posting a photograph of a Grey Squirrel. Well, it occurred to me that taking part in the Birdwatch is a bit like taking the photographs off our garden Trailcam ... you never quite know what you will find.  

Our Trailcam has picked up the following creatures to date:

  1. Blackbird
  2. Robin
  3. Blue tit
  4. Pigeon
  5. Magpie
  6. Great tit
  7. Grey Squirrel
  8. Mouse
  9. Other people's domestic cats ... several

We keep hoping it will deliver a surprise, though I have to say that (despite the charm of 'Ray' the rodent on BBC Winterwatch), I am glad we have not ended up with frame upon frame of rats! In fact, rats have not appeared at all to date. Perhaps I should mention Ray's nemesis, the Tawny Owl; as it happens, I have just heard our resident bird calling, but I sense an appearance on the Trailcam is, at the very least, unlikely. 

Here is a small selection of our recent photographs ...

I would love to know the real colour of the fur.


One of our faithful visitors, a female Blackbird


This one was burning the midnight oil ...

This was the early bird Grey Squirrel.

 

 

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Trail cams are fun! I need to get mine up and running again.