Friday 18 January 2013

Home Patch: Birds in the Snow

It's a snow white world ...
... in front of the wild wood.

The local Bluetits ...

... swoop in for a quick meal ...

They are experts ...

... at perching.

A small flock of Goldfinches ...

... pause for a brief moment.

I have also seen gulls and pigeons overhead, and a blackbird in the distance. I am wondering whether the Blue tits are the most regular visitors at present because ...

[a] they are the about the smallest birds around and need to re-fuel more frequently.

[b] they are the ones who like the seeded fatballs on offer.

[c] they tend to come in pairs or small groups and feel there is some safety in numbers.

[d] my home patch is considered their home patch! 

Do let me know if you have any thoughts on this ...

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely photos, birds are such splashes of colour in the snow!

Thanks for your comment on my blog, yes the Fair Isle waxwings were amazing on Winterwatch weren't they?