Thursday 1 March 2012

Ladybird Alert (3): My First Ladybird of the Season


There is definitely more than a hint of Spring in the air on this mild St David's Day. I saw my first Ladybird of the season this afternoon. It was walking along the body of my car in the sunshine.

I didn't have my camera with me at the time, so this is an old Ladybird photo. If you click the link here, you can read about Ladybirds and their winter habits.

The first sighting on Shetland of a non-native Harlequin Ladybird occurred some days ago. Harlequins were first reported in the UK back in 2003. 

All sightings are valuable, so do visit the UK Ladybird Survey website.

1 comment:

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

I've seen neither our native or harlequin yet this year. It was a beautiful warm day here today and I saw my first big bumble bee of the year.