Saturday 30 May 2020

Green Hairstreak Butterfly


We had seen only seen Green Hairstreaks once until this week when we thought we caught a fleeting glimpse of one in the garden. I began to doubt to my eyes until the butterfly in the photo above landed on an Ox-eye Daisy yesterday, pretty much confirming that what we had seen a few days before was probably one, too. It didn't hang around: you can just see its wings fluttering in the photo below. But it was there, and gives me another 'home patch' species for my list.




2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

That's wonderful Caroline! We've seen green hairstreaks only once when we joined a survey to find them in the Pentland Hills. Beautiful butterflies and so lucky to have them in your garden!

Ragged Robin said...

What a wonderful sighting to have in the garden! I've never seen a Green Hairstreak!