Friday 16 March 2018

7-spot Ladybirds - a Seasonal First


I could feel the warmth of the sun coming through the glass earlier this afternoon, and went outside to find three Ladybirds in the back garden and two more by the front door. I was thinking this was fairly early for them to be scuttling about until I saw that my first sighting two years ago had been on 3 March 2016.


What a beautiful 7-spot! 

Once again, our region here in the 'far east' of the UK 
is expecting heavy snow over the next couple of days, 
so I am not sure when I will see the next Ladybirds on the move. 

Meanwhile, enjoy the weekend, whatever the weather...


4 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely to see them return again - only seen Harlequins here - on the move in the house after hibernation! I love the Spring flowers in the last photo :)

Sandy said...

Wow! You have ladybugs already? We still have lots of snow here in Maine, USA. Nice photos

Lowcarb team member said...

Fantastic photographs Caroline.

All the best Jan

Andrea said...

Oh so the ladybirds are showing there now, but you said the snows are back! Our area in the province is not a user of pesticide, everything there is left to the elements. However, i wonder why i don't see ladybirds anymore. The psyllids of Leucaena leucocephala are still sowing havoc to this plant, and the psyllids are ladybirds food, so i don't know why they are nowhere near. I haven't spotted even just one on the diseased plants. At least i still see lots of butterflies, even if it is very hot.