Welcome to my Tree Following post for July and early August 2016.
These tree posts form part of a wider project initiated by Lucy Corrander from the Loose and Leafy blog and continued by Pat at The Squirrelbasket.
I am based in Suffolk, UK, where I have been keeping an eye on a Silver birch, B. pendula. I have added in a small Cherry sapling, Prunus avium Sylvia, for my second tree.
You will find the other Tree Follower links by clicking through to the Mr Linky button here ... so do take the chance to have a look at the new posts!
Every so often something inspires me to write a short diary post about my trees, so here is one about the Silver Birch ...
Diary for 21 July 2016
Time: 12.46 (afternoon)
Conditions: warm, dry and cloudy
I looked out and saw the mother Magpie with her single offspring. They made their way together to the base of the feeder on the Silver Birch and began pecking around beneath it, giving out the occasional squeaky call. Suddenly a Jay flew in, and landed on the coconut and proceeded to feed. After a few moments, perhaps disturbed by the Magpies, the bird flew off over our fence towards a large oak tree that borders the local nature reserve. I was about to return to my desk when I realised that the Jay had now been joined by a mate (or adolescent offspring), and the two birds disappeared together.
If we have Jays and Magpies rearing young in our neck of the woods, it can hardly bode well for the smaller garden birds, and yet the population of Blue tits and Great tits, in particular, seems healthy at the moment ...
This post is largely for an odd numbered month (July), so I will only post the sightings seen since the last round-up. My next Tree Following post (August and early September) will include the complete list.
Highlights this month have included the appearance of two new butterflies for my garden record, the Gatekeeper and the Holly Blue. The Gatekeeper made a beeline for the patch of garden around the Cherry Tree. The Holly Blue was spotted in the same patch - but, not surprisingly - on a Holly. I do not expect that my chosen trees had anything to do with its arrival in the garden, but I include this butterfly because it touched down within a metre of the Cherry.
We experienced a 'flying ant day' - pictures here.
The season is turning fast. Daylight gives way to dusk at about 8.30pm. The first leaves on the Silver Birch are turning yellow. The seedhead catkins are a rich brown.
|First of the turning leaves, Silver Birch, August 2016|
|Silver Birch (and part of the bird feeder)|
|Silver Birch seeds caught in spider's web on a post|
|Silver Birch - seed cases, August 2016|
|Cherry tree, 5 August 2016|
|Cherry tree, holed leaf, 5 August 2016|
The patch around the Cherry has been weeded, and the little tree has had a growth spurt. I suspect a Leafcutter bee is taking rounded chunks out of its leaves. I rather fear that wasp season is about to begin, and last year we had a few hornets, too ...
- TFb1 Great Spotted Woodpecker (a male)
- TFb2 Great tit (several, often on feeder)
- TFb3 Long-tailed Tit (large family, including juveniles)
- TFb4 Blackbird (several)
- TFb6 Blue tit (several frequently on feeder, including juveniles)
- TFb7 Robin (the feisty Robin has put in frequent appearances)
- TFb8 Magpie (several)
- TFb9 Wood Pigeon (up to ten perching around the feeder area)
- TFb10 Dunnock (two)
- TFb14 Jay (two)
- TFb21 Chaffinch (one, 5 August 2016)
- TFb23 Collared Dove (a pair, one pecking directly underneath the Silver Birch)
- TFm4 Grey Squirrel [Jan/Feb 2016] [Feb/Mar 2016] [Mar/Apr 2016] [Jul/Aug 2016]
- TFi7 Large White Butterfly [July 2014] [Jul/Aug 2016]
- TFi15 Marmalade Hoverfly [July 2014] [Jul/Aug 2015] [Jul/Aug 2016]
- TFi22 Green bottle flies [August 2014] [May/June 2015] [Jul/Aug 2016]
- TFi23 Ants [August 2014] [Apr/May 2015] [May/June 2015] [Jul/Aug 2015] [Sept/Oct 2015 Acer negundo] [Jun/July 2016] [Jul/Aug 2016]
- TFi28 Unidentified Moth [Nov/Dec 2014] [Feb/Mar 2015] [Jul/Aug 2015] [Sept/Oct 2015]
[Jan/Feb 2016] [June/July 2016] [Jul/Aug 2016]
- TFi39 Gatekeeper Butterfly *New* [Jul/Aug 2016]
- TFi40 Holly Blue Butterfly *New* [Jul/Aug 2016]
And finally ...
MY PREVIOUS TREE FOLLOWING POSTS
- June 2016 to July 2016
- May 2016 to June 2016
- April 2016 to May 2016
- March 2016 to April 2016
- February 2016 to March 2016
- January 2016 to February 2016
- December 2015 to January 2016
- November to December 2015
- October to November 2015
- September to October 2015
- August to September 2015
- July to August 2015
- June to July 2015
- May to June 2015
- April to May 2015
- March to April 2015
- February to March 2015
- January to February 2015
- November to December 2014
- October to November 2014
- September to October 2014
- August to September 2014
- July to August 2014
- June to July 2014
- May to June 2014
- April to May 2014
- March to April 2014
- February to March 2014