Monday 22 December 2014

A Winter's Day on the Beach at Southwold



We always enjoy a visit to Southwold, with its breaking waves and brisk sea breeze!  


The sun was low and there was a lot of spray and sand blowing about. 


This was 20 December, one day before the shortest day, shortly after 2pm. 


The spray was mesmerising ...


... but it was not the only thing to catch my attention ...


The photo above is a close-up of the egg cases of a skate ...


... and there was a discarded mermaid's purse lying about a metre away.


The beaches at Southwold are known for a variety of semi-precious minerals such as carnelian and agate that can sometimes be seen on the shore after a stormy tide. Amber, a fossilised tree resin, can also occasionally be found. 

I noticed an orange pebble, which you can see in the photo below. It was light, but not particularly light. David held it for me to allow a photo before we let it fall back into the sand. I wish I had known or remembered that amber floats in sea water ...


The 'pebble' above was not the only item that stood out on the shore. The small pebble below also caught my eye. Perhaps they are both pieces of carnelian (see photo here), but I shall never know for sure. 


It seemed to be a day for finding sunset-coloured objects along the shoreline ...


The Turnstones near the car park looked pretty miserable. I think they may have been waiting for scraps of cone from the ice cream van.


We were just leaving when this spectacle of airborne geese caught our attention ...


No comments: